Update: 16-JUN-2012 – The moderator marked this as answered with the answer given below.  I will not be updating the list of devices further.  I would hope, however, that a moderator would take up the call and continue the updates and information flow to the customers.  I stuck with the problem for a month, now I am going to upgrade phones.  Good luck to all.


This is a central posting for the current difficulty with Mobile Devices and Microsoft Hotmail.  Primarily, this is a mid-May and a mid-June loss of connectivity through Exchange Active Sync (EAS) or whatever label your mobile device uses for communicating with corporate email.  This does not seem to affect pop3 or IMAP/MAPI connectivity, but has destroyed one’s ability for integrated email, contact, and calendar synchronization through EAS.  I am starting this thread in an attempt to bring the problem’s scope and difficulty to a central place.  I would like to show Microsoft that the current phase of Hotmail server upgrades is causing disastrous results to the user-base (albeit a possible minority).  I am sure the forum administrators are aware of this, but I would like to make a point by asking each of the disparate threads to click the “Me Too” button on this thread as a tally of all the members having difficulty.  If, you could also leave your mobile device and OS version for the technicians that may help them compile a reason for the problem.  I am also going to post a link to each of the other threads I have found that have the same problem listed.  As people add devices and operating systems, I will update the original post with the list of devices.  Lastly, if you were broken and got FIXED, please post here so that we can see what works and what doesn’t.


Definite server change dates causing loss of service:

May 17, 2012

June 12, 2012


NON-WORKING Operating Systems:

Apple OS 5.1.1

Android: 2.2, 2.3.4, 2.3.5, 2.3.6, 4.0.3

Meego PR1.2

WebOS: 1.4.5,, 2.1.1, 2.2.4, 3.0.5

Windows Mobile: 6.1, 6.5, 6.5 Pro

Windows Phone: 7



Apple iPhone 4S

Asus: Transformer, Transformer Prime


Eten Gloflish X800

HP: Pre 3, TouchPad, VEER

HTC: Arrive, HD2, Touch Diamond, Touch Pro, Rezound

Motorola: Atrix, Atrix 4G, Droid, Droid 2, Droid Bionic, Droid 2 Global, Droid Razr, Droid Razr Maxx, Droid X, Photon 4G

Nokia: N9

Palm: Pixi, Pixi Plus, Pre 2

RIM: Black Berry 8520

Samsung: Galaxy Ace, Galaxy S2, Tablet S 32gb

Verizon Motorola Global 2

ZTE N762


WORKING/REPAIRED Operating Systems:

Windows Mobile: 5.0, 6.0, 6.1

Note – Failure of Windows Mobile 6.5


Other, possibly connected, faults:

Windows 8 Mail app


From my original post:


I have a Palm Pixi, WebOS 1.4.5. I had been using EAS just fine for about a year. Then, this week [Update: May 17], it stopped working (would not receive, would not sync, calendar and contacts broken). So I removed the account and attempted to re-add it, thinking it was a problem with the phone. Now, when I log in, I get the following error: "Unable To Sign In: Unable to validate incoming server settings. Check the settings and try again." The settings are correct: https://m.hotmail.com as the server, full email address as username, password correct. But it won’t log in. Furthermore, if I take the @hotmail.com off the end of the username, I get a bad login/password error, so it seems to be talking to the server, just not authenticating. The real clincher is that I have a second account (also hotmail) that I can add through the same process that works just fine. [Update: second account broke on June 12]


P.S.  Please let me know if devices/OS should be added, removed, etc…  Same goes for the links below.  I want this to be as accurate as possible so that it can be as helpful as possible to Microsoft.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.